Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Five Minute Fridays: Song

My heart is singing this morning!  There was time, and there was quiet, and there was Five Minute Fridays, and I wrote.  Thank you, Lisa-Jo, for the prompt that helped me focus down, for giving my detail-crazy brain this joyous break to write freely.


On Fridays, we write, for five minutes, and we don't worry if it is right or not.  Such fun!  Join us?   

Today's prompt: Song.  Here goes...

I clearly remember standing in front of the table at the end of the hall, barely as tall as the table itself, gripping an 8-track tape of Captain and Tennille in my little hands and shoving it into the player, waiting for the first strains of Muskrat Love to come out of the speakers.

During the years when my stepfather lived with us, in the little house on Oxford St, the soundtrack of life then was country music, not the new pop-Country stuff, the old-fashioned down on your luck, whiskey-drinking, broken-hearted stuff. 

Recently, while my feet pedaled furiously on the spin bike at the gym, an AC/DC song came on.  Instantly I was transported right back to the dark high school gymnasium, the smoke from the fog machine whirling around, the dancing bodies of my classmates around me, the screechy voice of the lead singer ringing in my head.

I hear the song Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant and it always reminds me of the year our church put on the Living Christmas Tree, and I stood in my place as part of the choir high up in the huge tree, hearing the soloist’s pure, breathy voice sing about Mary and her journey to Bethlehem and the birth of Jesus.

I wonder what songs I will hear, years from now, that will bring me back to this time?  Maybe the Elton John songs my son downloaded to iTunes?  The Josh Garrells music we all love so much?  Mumford and Sons?  Will I remember rocking out to You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon during a wicked game of Sorry with the kids?  Or the first time I played Farther Along for my husband, eyes full of tears at the beautiful truths contained there?

What songs are you listening to today?  What memories do they stir for you? 

10 comments:

  1. I love how music can bring back memories and transport us to a different time. And I hear you on having a hard time getting motivated to post...FMF was my only post this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I am THINKING about writing...just not writing! But it felt so good this morning, to think and let the words come. I really need to just sit down and do it...Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I love the ability that music has as a time machine to transport us back to a different place and time in our lives. Thank you for sharing your heart. I am visiting from Five Minute Friday. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You used the perfect word to describe it: time machine! That is exactly how I feel sometimes, whisked away to another time and place. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  3. As I wrote today's FMF post, I struggled because there are SO many songs that I can think of that take me back to times that I love remembering!
    *Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I struggled too, with keeping the post within a reasonable length! I could have gone on and on...

      Delete
  4. I love your take on her prompt today. As I read, I thought of a song we used to sing in elementary choir, and it reminded me of a friend who'd passed away that year. I never mentioned it to anyone, I just always thought of her when we'd sing it...and then one day, a friend sitting next to me leaned over and said, "This reminds me of K." :) It's nice to have those reminders through music, even if they're sometimes bittersweet. Have a great weekend, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mel! I love what you shared about your friend, how music reminded you of her. It must have been comforting to learn that it was a shared memory. I have certainly missed interacting with you more since I haven't been writing as much :). I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. It's amazing how even thinking about the songs from those times can put me right back into a memory I haven't thought about in years...like every now and then, I hear something from the playlist I made to use when I was in labor with my son, and I remember how amazing it was to finally have him here with us. (Helpful on those days when he's driving me nuts, you know?) Blessings- I'm visiting you from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Abbey! Both how music can transport you back to such a sweet time in your life, and how it helps you today when things may not be so sweet :). Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete