Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day 30: not forgotten


Sitting in a room in a doctor’s office, gowned up and ready for the doctor to come in, you wait, reading every printed word in the room wondering when the door handle will turn announcing the doctor's arrival.  The minutes tick by.  If you were properly dressed, you may be tempted to throw open the door and say, “Excuse me, I’m still here!  Have you forgotten about me?"

Waiting can make you feel forgotten.

I studied Noah this week and, boy, he was in the ark a LONG time!  Perhaps there were times when he wanted to throw open the door and shout up to God, “Hey, have you forgotten about us in here?”

Then these words that begin Genesis 8: “But God remembered Noah…”  Of course, he never forgot about him to begin with, but the time had come for God to act on behalf of the folks in the ark, to dry up the water and let the animals and people back out on His earth.

During the lecture portion of my Bible study this morning, I wrote this in my notes: Noah waited on God’s perfect timing.

Then I wrote these questions that the teacher asked us:

How are you waiting? 

Are you resting, or feeling restlessness?

What do you know about the character of God that will keep you waiting in hope?

I wondered, what characteristics of God did Noah dwell on during those long days floating safe on the ark?

November 10th will mark one year since becoming certified to adopt a child.

I continue to wait in hope, believing God to be good.  I believe He is able to work both for my good, for the good of the baby we will adopt, and for the good of all those involved in the process.  I believe God to have purpose in what He does and I believe that He can bring good things out of circumstances that don't seem good at all.

Last night a sweet friend listened with the deep understanding of one who knows as I shared through tears that this waiting is growing burdensome.

She was going home to mother four children from her body and one who was born into her heart and family from Ethiopia, the one she waited over two years to hold. 

She knows.

And she could tell me from that place of knowing that there will come a day when God will remember us.

I wait for that day.
*********************************************
Tomorrow is the 31st day!!  Amazing!!  Click on the link below to visit the other 31 Dayers:


2 comments:

  1. 106 Praise the Lord!
    Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
    For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
    2 Who can speak of the mighty deeds of the Lord,
    Or can show forth all His praise?
    3 How blessed are those who keep justice,
    Who practice righteousness at all times!
    4 Remember me, O Lord, in Your favor toward Your people;
    Visit me with Your salvation,
    5 That I may see the prosperity of Your chosen ones,
    That I may rejoice in the gladness of Your nation,
    That I may glory with Your inheritance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. waiting is so hard. i'm so glad you have someone who understands to encourage you! what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete