Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Roots


I saw this prompt early this morning, but time has been like water through my fingers today, and I only had time to sit down for my five minutes now at 8:00pm.  

So here is my Five Minute Friday contribution on Roots:

The divorce of my parents when I was six separated the roots of our little family like a gardener dividing unruly plants.  It can be hard for a small girl living between two households, two worlds, to find her way in the world.

My skinny third grade self climbed onto the bus in the darkness, with the loud driver who would hurtle too fast over the bumps to rattle happy kids, and bang the ceiling of the bus and shout if we got too rowdy.  I found a seat, pressed against the side of the bus and looked out the window as we rolled toward First Baptist, and their Awana club meeting.

It was there, in the midst of the games and snacks and Bible verses memorized, that my roots began to tentatively sink into a soil that could truly nourish…the Word of God.  Every week I braved that frightening bus ride, knowing deep down that I had found a firm place where I could stand.


2 comments:

  1. I love this. :) I teach urban students, and one of the things that I'm learning from them is that roots don't always come from the place they're "supposed" to, and yet God can use any circumstance and any group of people to plant and grow us.

    Thank you for your words!

    ReplyDelete