Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

gift after gift

Our daughters have been sharing the bottom twin bed of a set of bunk beds for about 9 months.  They started sharing when we had the bunk beds separated into two twin beds.  Every night, we would tuck them into their separate beds, and every morning I would find them snuggled up together in one twin bed.  In order to give their growing bodies a bit more room, we made the switch from bunk beds to a full-sized bed, which we had in storage.

This was a huge project because their room is 10’ x 10’ and the bigger bed takes up serious floor space.   We had to go through everything making decisions about what to keep and what to give away.  At one point I asked my 9 -year old daughter, in reference to a pile of things on the floor, “Which of these things do you need?”

She looked at me, a bit overwhelmed because I had asked her that question one too many times, “Mom, I don’t NEED any of this to survive!  But I LIKE all of it and want to keep it!”
************************************************

...more of His generous bounty...

:: food for the body (soup, bread, popcorn) AND food for the soul (studying 1 Samuel) at our college    Bible study
:: my girls now sleeping on a bed that both my Mom and I slept on as girls
:: vinyl wall clings for turning the girls' room from lady bugs to a horse theme, lickety-split!
:: tidy house after an afternoon of cleaning
:: successful Boy Scout fundraiser this afternoon
:: freshly washed cars
:: finding book treasures at a yard sale down the street
:: family time with Skipbo, Apples to Apples and an hour of reading aloud
:: three sleepy kids wrapped in blankets listening to Daddy reading
:: all A’s on his first report card after his transition from homeschooling to public school
:: his courage to audition for Advanced Band...and he made it!
:: having our small group here for dinner, with the adults out numbered and all of us happily close in our little house
:: an extra hour of quiet here this morning

Making this gift list a part of my Sunday morning routine, looking back to the week just past, and forward to the week coming, inspired by Ann and her One Thousand Gifts...

2 comments:

  1. "I will worship toward Your holy temple,
    And praise Your name
    For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
    For You have magnified Your word above all Your name."
    one of my faves, Ps 138:2

    ReplyDelete
  2. um. that comment was supposed to go on the roots post. my bad. wouldn't be "lisa" without blunders like this!

    ReplyDelete