Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

high desert thanks


I type these words in the beauty and spaciousness of my in-laws’ home up in the high desert of southern California.  The house I am in is as old as my marriage, my in-laws- having finished building it and moving in a month before my husband and I were married.  The 2.5 hour drive from our home is familiar, and the last bit up the dirt road always full of the happy anticipation of seeing Grandy and Grandpa. 

They live on the outskirts of a small desert town.  Our activity list for this visit includes riding the dune buggy here on their property and a shooting outing with Dad and Grandpa, good and proper desert activities.

Blackout shades and the quiet of desert mornings encourage us all to sleep long and well.  The kids love the basement, which is full of toys and space to hold all their creative energetic play.

The sound of a Monopoly game in full swing rises and falls in the living room, cranberry relish simmers on the stove, and my heart is full of the simple gifts of family and tradition, which we will celebrate with turkey and all the fixins tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!

1 comment: