Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Family Chore Day


For the past five years of homeschooling three kids, chores were just a part of our school day, our “Life Skills” time.  Since my workforce has dwindled to two this year, I needed to come up with another system: enter Family Chore Day. 

The way it works is this: Saturday morning, after a nice leisurely breakfast, I write everyone’s name on our white board, along with their chores.  When someone finishes, I erase their whole chore list and put one more item under their name: go play and have fun!

I appreciate many things about this new system.  First of all, we are all working together which brings a nice sense of community.  Secondly, we can really knock out a lot of work in a short amount of time!  This Saturday we cleaned up after our dogs, mowed both lawns, swept our patio, sorted and washed the family laundry, cleaned both bathrooms, vacuumed, cleaned our French doors, dusted the living room and entry way, swept and mopped floors, did a big clean of the guinea pig hutch and all three kids practiced piano!  We started work at 10:30am and were done and eating lunch by 1:30pm.

The longer I am a Mama, the more I appreciate the different seasons in this parenting journey.  So far, the Family Chore Day is a positive part of this new and different season.